Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Light for the breakfast nook

Now that we are in the house and I am able to really get to know the house and what our specific needs are for this house and the various areas of the house I can start considering what to purchase for the house. One of the big surprises that I stumbled upon was a problem in my hopes to reuse the chandelier in the breakfast nook. The plastic part of the light fixture near the light bulbs is somewhat melted, it could be from using light bulbs with too high of a wattage for the fixture or since the inside of the shades are reflective it is possible that even using the maximum wattage allowable in the fixture was too much for the plastic parts close to the light bulb to handle. Either way I am left looking for a new light fixture for the area now. Not a big deal since the chandelier in there was not really our taste so I was going to have to do something to change the look of the chandelier anyhow so that it would be more inline with our tastes.






















I found one that I really like at the Pottery Barn, the Porter Pendant. The only issue I have with the fixture is that I can't really drape the cord to make it hang off center in the space. I want to do this because I plan to put the table up against the window and if I don't put the fixture off center towards the window then we will continue to bump our heads on it as we have been doing with the current light fixture. For now I had to move the table so that it is under the current light fixture so that we won't continue to bump our heads on the light fixture. It will be nice to finally get a light fixture in there that suits our tastes and that we won't continually bump our heads on.

This morning I stumbled upon a similar light fixture with a chain at Ikea, the Kroby Pendant Lamp. Of course this lamp doesn't have the same cool factor as the one at the Pottery Barn which raises and lowers on a pulley system and is modeled after the antique lamps that once lit workshops in Paris and it also doesn't allow for as bright of a light bulb (60 watt max vs. 100 watt max with the larger Pottery Barn light), but since I will save over $100 on this light and it will be able to be hung off center easily so that it hangs in the center of the table preventing people from bumping their heads on it and of course our house is pretty bright even without lights on so I am pretty confident that this light will prove to be a good choice for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment