Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Lighting idea for the staircase in the backyard



I have always thought that sun jars were really quite attractive to look at in their simple understated elegance, but honestly couldn't figure out what to do with just one since they are too expensive for me to justify buying more than one sun jar. Then the other day my husband found a Do-It-Yourself tutorial on making your own sun jars for a fraction of the cost of store bought sun jars. http://lifehacker.com/5315357/create-your-own-sun-jar-lifehacker-edition/gallery/


This tutorial got me thinking about where or how I might want to use multiple sun jars at the new house. Then it dawned on me that the new house has a staircase in the back yard leading up to the back door. The door is attached to the laundry room and the staircase itself is just outside the kitchen and breakfast nook areas. I was thinking that putting a sun jar on each of the steps might be a nice way to light the path to the door. One great thing about sun jars is that they turn themselves on when it gets dark out and they turn off either when it gets light out or they run out off juice (they are solar powered - they store energy from the sun). The only issue I still have to determine the solution to is that I will need to secure them to the stairs since we have a little one running around. I am thinking that some museum wax, gel or putty might do the trick to secure the sun jars to the steps but I will have to try to figure out what will hold the glass to the cement steps most securely. Otherwise maybe some heavy duty outdoor strength double-sided tape might work.

1 comment:

  1. That's a great idea! I can't wait to see the final project.

    ReplyDelete