Thursday, October 22, 2009

the empty space above the stove


Being that our house was built in the 40s the fan for the stove was actually built right into the ceiling and none of the previous owners had "updated" the fan and installed a range hood or a microwave hood over the stove. I had originally thought about adding an actual hood or microwave hood as I was told the fan doesn't work that well, but it turns out that the fan works just fine other than being a little noisy when you first turn it on so I decided not to install a hood in place of the fully functional already existing fan. Once the hood dilemma was solved I was left with this big open space on the wall above the stove - what to do with all of that space that would make it look less awkward. Well I decided to add 2 shelves that were of a similar style to the existing shelves in the breakfast nook. Once that was decided I thought that adding a bar that I could put some hooks on to hang things out of the way while cooking might be nice, unfortunately all of the bars I found were too long for the space. Then I stumbled upon a magnetic strip that would fit the space nicely, the magnetic strip is really meant to hang your knives up on the wall. To make matters better the hooks were able to be attached to the magnetic strip, with just a bit of force required. I think the look I achieved really works well in our 1940s kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment