Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Vegan mac and cheese

In having to give up dairy the loss of my beloved mac and cheese was probably the hardest on me. I was so excited the day I came across the cookbook Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food: 65 Everyday Meal Ideas for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner with Over 150 Great-tasting, Down-home Recipes by Alicia C. Simpson. The picture on the front cover (a picture of mac and cheese) was almost enough to make me buy the book and I must say that I am glad I decided to give this book a try. I have also made the cornbread and both dishes make my husband tell me that I am shattering his preconceived notions about vegan food. 

This mac and cheese was absolutely amazing, it is a baked mac and cheese and it made more than enough for my husband to pack some leftovers to bring with him for lunch tomorrow and to put a container in the freezer for a quick meal another day. It is so nice to be able to enjoy some of our old favorites, especially now that there is often a chill in the air and a desire for a heavier meal. By the way this mac and cheese recipe sneaks in some veggies that will totally go unnoticed by picky eaters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment