Sunday, January 10, 2010

My evolving diet

Through my adulthood my diet has slowly changed for various reasons. I more or less gave up on all pork after getting a bad case of food poisoning from a pork sandwich once. I have cut back on most dairy over the years as a result of my body having difficulty in processing milk and cheese products. I have slowly been eating less and less meat over time for many reasons - first because it was just expensive when I had little money, then because I was really afraid of getting salmonella or some other food born pathogen, after that I became more concerned over the environmental impact that eating meat has and the way the animals are treated, and now I am beginning to realize that when I have a reasonable amount of meat with any given meal I feel really heavy after I'm done (think about how you feel after Thanksgiving dinner or any other really big feast) and sometimes the next day I wake up feeling a little under the weather (as if I am coming down with a cold).

This is how my diet has slowly evolved to being primarily vegetarian and leaning towards vegan for the most part. I must say that this evolution of my diet has had some wonderful effect already. I get sick less often that I used to. I don't feel so heavy or uncomfortable after I eat. I have been losing weight without even trying. I have been eating more and more fresh foods and have even begun to buy more locally produced food. I have also grown to have a big interest in growing my own food. I have also begun to be far more willing to experiment in the kitchen, this has led us to find many new favorite foods. I am also very happy that our 2 and 1/2 year old son loves his fruits and veggies and other healthy foods so much, he will choose a good piece of fruit over a cookie any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment