Thursday, January 28, 2010

Windows for a 1948 cottage


Sadly our house has only one original window left, well three if you count each of the windows that make up our bay window. The other windows in the original structure are aluminum windows that are leaking, with the exception of Ethan's bedroom which has a pair of vinyl windows and is not having any real problems thus far. We love the bay window and even before we bought the house we thought that getting it fixed was a good idea, no we haven't gotten it fixed yet.

Over the weekend we went to the Go Green Expo here in L.A. hoping to find some ideas for the house as well as other things. Well we had our first of the window people from the expo come over the other day to discuss replacing our windows with us. This window company's representative was too busy with another couple at the expo so I simply wrote down my information based on what I saw about them at the booth, they were a local company that manufactures their windows locally. Much to my surprise when the sales person showed up we quickly learned that they only sold vinyl windows which wasn't really what I wanted but I listened anyhow, well until he suggested that I replace my 62 year old bay window with vinyl windows. At that point he completely lost me.

Now I am back to the drawing board so to say looking for windows that will suit a 62 year old house that has been maintained very well overall. We still have the original wood floors, the original cabinets, the original tile counter tops and back splashes, the original tile work in the bathtub. Granted I don't plan to save all of it because the tile is in pretty bad shape, but I would like to maintain the original integrity of the house as best I can and to me that doesn't include vinyl windows.

Well last night I got a call from one of the other window companies that was at the expo, this was one that we actually got to talk to at the expo and learn a little bit about their product. I'm not certain how I feel about their windows yet as they are something a bit different from the old fashioned wood windows, but they are definitely closer in appearance to our bay window than many modern windows. I set up a time for someone to come out and discuss our windows with us, after all who knows if they will be the right option for our house or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment