Friday, January 8, 2010

Planning a garden

I have been starting to plan out our "garden" for a while now, but now that the house is painted and we are getting closer to fencing in our front yard the time to start the labor of planting things is quickly approaching me. I intend to transplant the vast majority of plants that were already on the property when we bought the house. We are hoping to go with an English cottage style garden in the front yard. Basically no grass, just flowers and herbs and things with paths going through the yard. I am still trying to decide on how I want to add a seating area to the front yard - do I want a small patio area in the middle of the yard or would it be better just to have a bench in front of one of the trees or a combination of the two (a patio area right off the tree with a bench and table and chairs).

While I looking up herbs (how tall they get, how far they need to be spaced out, what kind of environment they prefer, etc.) I stumbled upon this great webpage that discusses companion planting. This is of great interest to me because I prefer to keep as organic a gardening atmosphere as possible and knowing what to plant next to what to help control pests is very useful information. I was really excited to see that I can help deter aphids by planting garlic next to my roses. This was super exciting to me because last year I had a huge infestation of aphids in the rose garden at the house we were renting and the house we bought has several rose bushes as well. If you don't know what aphids are you are really lucky cause they are so disgusting to have all over your rose bushes. I saw them on pretty much every rose bush in town last year so I really hope that planting garlic with my rose bushes keeps those nasty aphids away.

Here is a link to the webpage I stumbled across on companion planting: http://www.thefarm.org/charities/i4at/lib2/complant.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment